Thursday 21 August 2008

Fundraising Ideas

The funny thing about this situation is that considering the course is at the Business School, I feel I should have a natural business intuition.

So why am I having difficulty coming up with the money?

I've approached several of the largest companies nationwide only to receive a polite but firm "No, sorry we have our own graduate training scheme." I've tried my local education authority. They sounded very pleased to hear from me, then revealed that postgraduate funding is only available for PGCE students. I've approached the university and the deadline was in May- which was before I got my act together this year and even thought of further study.

I worked out that I can do it easily if I take out a career development loan for £8,000 and work 15 hours a week at £9 an hour; so I contacted my old team leader at the bank and she said she'd send details of how to get back in. Of course the question does remain... how do you do a 35 hour week at university, 15 to 20 hours at a mind-numbing and incredibly depressing job and write papers that make sense?

The alternative is to have a sale, auction off bits and pieces such as the sandstone artwork that got me into uni aged 18.

I could auction off my time, e.g. for cleaning or general handiwork. My neighbour already needs the bay window roof sealing properly.

I have a vague knowledge of style (despite my own dress sense) and can put together looks on paper for people. £5 a pop?

I can chauffeur people in my battered Punto as long as the price of fuel doesn't continue rising, and they don't mind the outside of it looking a mess. Somehow, this one stinks of being a non-starter.

I could sit in a bathtub of beans and give a portion to charity- or milk and make my pale, pale skin even paler.

I could canoe for miles as an endurance thing, or join an incredibly fit friend on a training run- just for the sponsorship and so that everyone could have a laugh at me.

I could busk in the town centre; the slight problem being that I can't sing (I'm flat) and can't play any musical instrument. Perhaps the triangle?

I could organise a fundraising night, with entry costs contributing to my fees and negotiate a percentage from drinks sales, perhaps even have a sale there.


Hell, I could even do my own photo-shoots with people. Of course, I'd do hair, make-up, styling and photography, but charge only a fraction of the fee professional studios charge. It would be a bargain basement deal for the cash-strapped in need of pampering for an afternoon.

What do you think?

No comments: