Tuesday 28 July 2009

Communication and the medical profession

I have three friends either qualified or training to be doctors. They're intelligent people, but they will probably fall into this trap: failing to communicate.

I have two issues here. I'm under two sets of doctors in this adventure; one for the skin treatment (A) and one for the contraception (B). Do they talk to one another?

No.

Do they talk to me?

No.

When I went to get the Pill I had to tell doc B what doc A was treating me for, and he still had no idea what I was on about. Team A were not aware when I started the Pill until I told them.

Doc B didn't tell me about the side effects of my chosen Pill. I went for the one that sounded simple, that you take at roughly the same time each day but it's not an emergency if you forget for a couple of hours. Apparently, this one results in an extra period. Sorry blokes, girly stuff this. I'm PMS-ing for the second time in three weeks.

Not funny for me, certainly not funny for the people around me but hilarious for the makers of Neurofen.

Docs A also had a great surprise for me too- during a routine check-up, one doc let slip that my bloods from last time had been abnormal- high cholesterol at the age of 23. It's a side effect of the Isotretinoin, but I would have liked to have been told.

Sorry. It's a PMS-y rant. I'll get on with the work I'm supposed to be doing (ironically, total quality management!).

No comments: