Monday 7 June 2010

Been a while- again!

I hear back from the application at the end of June. As I've probably said a million times, fingers crossed but breath not held.

Suzanne's was an adventure, but not really for telling to the world. Suffice to say despite the setbacks I had a lovely time and made several personal leaps forward.

Clinging onto the rail as I made my second, calm and relaxed journey via the underground in Rome, I realised that five years ago I'd have laughed until I cried if you'd have predicted where I'd be. Abroad, alone, willingly and happily travelling on public transport. You see five years ago I was scared to leave my own flat, even to go to the laundry room in the same block. Little by little I've gained the confidence I lost through the extended incident and I've doubled it and doubled it until I've had the confidence of a normal person.

Even more exciting perhaps, was the conversation I had with a florist the day before I left. I had a few minutes to kill before Suzanne finished work and, despite her objections, was attempting to get a small token with which to thank her and her parents. I went into a florist shop, looked around and upon being asked if I was alright, described to the shopkeeper how I was on holiday and staying with a friend and her parents, and wished to buy some flowers. We had a brief discussion in which we established I might actually prefer a plant, then moved onto the fact that she already had Orchids in her window.

Strangely, I hadn't even reistered that I knew the words for all of that, nevermind how to string them into a (grammatically incorrect) but understandable sentence or three.

I left empty handed because I simply couldn't afford anything, but I left feeling a weird sense of acomplishment.

Sure, I didn't know the language. I didn't know the culture. I didn't even know the way home, as the route was covered on the tourist map by an advert. I did, however, manage. Very well, considering. I even exceeded my own expectations, the worst critic ever is the best to amaze.

Now I'm back, skin dried from the treatment I started again, and onto the job hunt once more.

I will get up tomorrow, row for a bit, try a little Yoga and get down to the serious job of finding a career.

Oh, and plotting my birthday.

No comments: