Wednesday 29 June 2011

Beds, bedding, mattresses

Exciting stuff indeed.

Well, I reached the grand old age of 25 without getting to buy my own bed, but now I have my chance. Being me though, I could not possibly take that chance in the relative safety and simplicity of an English bed. Oh no.

I had to move to Sweden, sleep on a rather uncomfortable day bed for 3 months first.

Without a clue of what I was letting myself in for I went to Ikea. I took along moral support in the form of Peter and Ulla. I'm not entirely sure what they thought when it became clear I was completely out of my depth, but I'm fairly sure it was more along the moron than the funny line.

So, who knew you could buy a mattress bottom, a mattress and a mattress topper to make up a Swedish bed? I was a little amused by the thought of a Princess and the Pea scenario, but apparently it wasn't funny enough to share.


I had my heart set on a lightweight metal frame, a slatted base and a mattress. Simple.

No.

Far better is a mattress with the mattress bottom built in, with legs to screw in the bottom. Excellent! Cheaper and faster. But then you have to find a skirt for it. And then a mattress topper, because the mattress-with-the-base-built-in might not be comfortable.

I have no idea how I've slept all these years...

No comments: