Sunday 17 July 2011

Home... and thinking

Home. It's a funny word. I use it freely, casually, to refer to the place I rent, the place I sleep, the house of my parents - hell, I've even used it to refer to the home of a friend with whom I am not staying.

But what is the true home if you have so many?

I am happy in Sweden. I wake in a comfortable bed, cycle to work in whatever clothes I feel like throwing on. I read things which interest me, surrounded by people who challenge and inspire me. I shop for food I enjoy, cook whatever I like and have the freedom to enjoy my spare time.

Here in the house of my parents though, I feel unwilling to go back.

To be here is easy. It's a life filled with people I love and can rely on. In Sweden life is different. I don't understand a lot of the world around me, linguistically or socially. The people around me are not close friends, although I feel that they could be.

I don't think I love the country as much as I should. I know it's only been four months and that moving abroad is difficult but it really IS difficult.

Perhaps I'm weak, or allow my weakness to rule in too many instances.

No comments: