Monday 25 July 2011

Things to learn

Life is about learning as far as I'm concerned.

Learning is rarely painless though, and often fraught with the risk of embarressment.

One such learning curve began a few weeks ago, when I decided to meet a friend for coffee in the town centre. It was a beautiful day, hot and sunny with no breeze - perfect for a bicycle ride.

Unfortunately I had selected a wonderfully floaty dress. Being something of a doom-sayer I hurriedly looked up how to cycle without flashing your knickers. Although mine were clean I wasn't too sure the inhabitants of Uppsala needed to see them today. Cycle carefully, knees as near as possible, sit on any excess skirting and you should be fine. A sit-up bike is advisable. Hmm. Well, I figured that if I sat as straight as possible on my ladies standard style bike I'd be at least halfway there.

I sat carefully on the seat, pulled my skirt over my knees and set off. As I hit the main road I realised the folly of this adventure lay not in the skirt but in the delicate fabric crossed around my bust.

Yes folks, you guessed it. My dress wasn't designed for leaning forwards.

So, determined to arrive on time I continued, one hand on the handlebar, the other alternating between pulling my skirt down and the cross-over bust tighter and up. As the chiffon slid merrily up over the underskirt for the umpteenth time it dawned on me that I was fighting a losing battle.

I gave in.

So, to all of those poor, damaged eyes witness to my spotted knickers and the indecently uncovered bra, I apologise.



The coffee by the river was though fantastic.

No comments: