Monday 5 October 2009

Applied for another PhD today. Denmark. Looks cool, but my chances of getting it are low.

In other news my tutor put me forward for a position with a M/c based consultancy. It's only research support so nothing exciting but a lad from my course just got the same job at another branchof the same firm.

What's worrying me though is the way he described it. I'd have to be self-employed, so wouldn't get holidays or sick leave. I'd be there for 6 months and as a project term they would demand 100% committment. Sadly, either the guy sold it really badly or it is extremely tedious work only loosely related to where I want to be. If it went badly it could negatively affect the relationship between the uni and the firm, plus I'd lose a fantastic reference.

The Thermostat War has begun, with dad firmly in the "let's freeze until I start to feel mildly cool" camp and mum and I in the "our feet are already numb and outside the lounge I can't feel my fingers to type" camp. The log fire is lit, but it heats the lounge, kitchen and leaky conservatory, leaving the rest of the house in some pre-Victorian ice age state. My fingers are just about warm enough to type after massaging them for five minutes...

No comments: